Added over 4 years ago

ABC QuickView launched to give easy access to data

Posted by at 8:00 pm 0 Comments

Added over 4 years ago

MRS launch Fair Data Initiative

Posted by at 2:00 am 0 Comments

Added over 4 years ago

Digital Publications Metrics

Posted by at 8:55 pm 0 Comments

Added over 4 years ago

FIPP Brand Measurement Article

Here is a PDF of the article that appeared in January 2013 issue of FIPP Magazine World. It includes interviews with Jerry Wright and Glenn Hansen.

Brand Measurement

Posted by Australia at 3:29 pm 0 Comments

Added over 4 years ago

Minutes of a tele-conference meeting of the Executive Board held 10am (London time), Monday – 17 December 2012.

INTERNATIONAL FEDERATION OF AUDIT BUREAUX OF CIRCULATIONS

Minutes of a tele-conference meeting of the Executive Board held 10am (London time),
Monday – 17 December 2012.

Present : Mr. Jerry Wright – President – in the Chair
Mr. Hormuzd Masani – Treasurer
Mr. Eusebio Serrano
Mr. George Bohlander
Mr. Paul Dovas
Mr. Magnus Paulsson

Apologies : Mr. Pedro Silva
Ms Iwona Szczesna

In Attendance : Mr. J Matthews representing
Macomm Management Services Sdn Bhd
Secretaries to the Federation

1. MINUTES : The minutes of the meeting of the Executive Board held 19 November 2012 having been circulated, was taken as read and confirmed.

2. MATTERS ARISING

2.1 IFABC Workplan/Industry Advocacy

a. External Communications – Chairman said that the PR agency was in the midst of preparing further communications that would be released in the New Year.

b. IFABC Logo/Branding – Chairman said that it was important to identify the timing for the change of the logo on the website and communicating the change to Members. Mr. Paul Dovas said that he required the graphics of the logo to manipulate for the website. Chairman said that he will provide Mr. Dovas with the contact of the designers so that he could liaise with them. Further discussion took place and it was agreed that the logo on the website be changed on 10th January 2013 and the communiqué to Members on 11th January. Chairman said that he would prepare the letter to Members.

On the name change, Chairman said that there was no consensus amongst the Board with three voting to remain status quo with the new logo; two for adopting the new logo and initials but changing the words behind them and the new logo and three for the new logo and a change in name. There was no majority on the Board for a name change. He added that a change in name would require a longer process and the approval from Members. He continued and said that if the Executive Board waited to change the logo and the name at the same time it would take at least another six months before anything could happen. He proposed changing the logo in January ( as it had been approved by Members at the GA) and consider the name after that. A member proposed a survey amongst the members for their opinion. Chairman said that he would prefer providing Members with some options so that they could respond to the subject in hand more readily. Discussion ensued and it was agreed to proceed with the change in logo.

Chairman said that there were options in respect of the change to the words in the initials - e.g. change the letter ‘c’ to ‘communications’. He suggested that Executive Board members provide their views to the Secretaries for discussion at the next meeting.

c. Promote the growth of bureaux in new geographies – Mr. Eusebio Serrano said that he hoped to divide the regions and handle the responsibility of the regions to the regional heads. He said that he had discussed with IFABC Europe head, Mr. Bohlander, and had identified Ms Iwona Szczesna as the most suitable candidate to head the charge for membership in Eastern Europe. Mr Serrano also informed that he had spoken with Mr Pedro Silva and he had agreed to join the group as well. The same happened with Mr Dovas and the Asia Pacific Group. He was waiting for their comments to organize the first teleconference.

The principle of not-for-profit – Chairman referred to the summary from the Secretaries. He said that the question arose as some prospective members could not comply with this clause in the Constitution. It was pointed out that there were some Members who did not comply with the requirement to be ‘tripartite’. However, the Constitution provided the General Assembly on the recommendation of the Executive Board, the prerogative to waive that requirement in special circumstances.

Discussion followed and it was agreed to insert the principle of not-for-profit under that waiver clause so that the GA may have an opportunity to consider the applicant on merit. It was also agreed that the applicant will only be available who do not meet one of the criteria of not being ‘tripartite’ or ‘not-for-profit’ principle but not to those who fail on both counts.

The Secretaries were requested to prepare a draft amendment to Article 6.1.13 of the Constitution.

Mr. Paul Dovas spoke of the ICOM conference in Rome and the discussion that the tripartite coalition maybe in danger in the future if agencies become redundant in digital media, leaving only advertisers and media owners.

d. WFA/WAN-IFRA/FIPP – Chairman said that he had made contact with WFA and discovered that the WFA Media Measurement Group was not active at the moment. WFA will inform him when the group reactivated itself. In respect of FIPP, he said that there was an article in their current issue that related to the measurement world to which both he and the BPA had contributed. He would circulate a copy of the article to Members, which should be posted to the IFABC website too.

2.1.2 Knowledge Sharing/Business Development

a. Central knowledge store – in the absence of Ms Szczesna there was no report. The Secretaries said that they had sent a reminder to Members to complete the data on the Regional Newspapers. Three Members had done so.

b. Improve internal communications – Website – Mr. Paul Dovas said that he submitted an update to the Executive Board but had received comments from two only. He hoped that the others would also comment. Chairman said that the items according to priority should be:

- rebranding (urgent)
- new logo on website
- alert system (as soon as possible)
- new logo guidelines for downloading
- training
- uploading of bureau reports,
- news page menu structure
- administrator access for Mr. Burlacu for updating the book
with images

It was agreed that Mr Burlacu be requested to provide the updates and the updates could be done by IFABC and no access to be given to him.

For the menu structure Chairman felt that there must be more feedback from the Board members and then a vote should be taken to decide at the next meeting.

Mr. Paul Dovas agreed to move as soon as possible.

2.1.3 Digital Standards and Measurement

a. ‘Hybrid’ Online Audience Measurement – Mr. George Bohlander said that he had spoken to Mr. Richard Foan and they would be having teleconference on 14 January to discussion the integration of the project with the Web Standards Group. He said that Mr. Thomas Bancroft and Ms Carolyn Morgan would also be involved. They hoped to have the first draft for the IFABC Europe meeting in Vienna in May. Mr. Foan would be preparing the proposal.

b. Digital Editions and Publications – the Secretaries said that they had invited Mr. Glenn Hansen to provide an update for the GA minutes and participate in the meeting. He was unable to do so. In the email he had said that he was meeting vendors in the digital space on the subject of DPPs.

c. WFA Digital Audience Measurement Group – Chairman said that he had advised earlier on the meeting about the inactivity of the group.

d. Web Standards Group – Chairman said that ABC UK’s Digital audit group were finalizing a paper on the practicality of ‘in view’ digital advertising measurement. He added that there was controversy surrounding the subject too, as shown by the industry discussion in the USA. He added that he will report when the ABC UK work was complete.

Mr.Paul Dovas spoke of the ICOM meeting in Rome and the 3MS and the great opportunity it presented to IFABC to leap frog the measurement debate and take IFABC to the forefront.

e. ‘ABC of 2015’ - Chairman said that there was not much more to do with the report itself and hoped that Members will use it to inform their stakeholders and develop their bureaux. He added that the Secretaries had circulated the results of the survey amongst the Members on the recent GA and their expectations. Mr. George Bohlander said that it was important to discuss the results at the next meeting. The answers to question 8 were important for the future work programme. Chairman said that the Executive Board should also look at areas for the next Executive Board workplan based on this feedback.

2.1.4 Governance and Finance

a. Finance – Treasurer reported that the cash in bank amounted to € 43,069-48 as at 17 December. He said that the expenses so far in 2012 had amounted to € 94,176-28 or more than twice the receipts of the IFABC on a cash basis. Chairman requested that a reconciliation between the 2012 budget against actual be carried out for Executive Board’s knowledge. Treasurer suggested that there be more caution in spending in the coming year. He added that an audit will be conducted in January 2013. In response to a question from the Chairman, Treasurer said that the invoices for the 2013 subscriptions would be sent to Members in January 2013.

b. Membership – Chairman said that there has been interest from three areas:

- ABC Croatia – the recommendation for membership approval had been held back until a tele-conference call was held with the applicant. The applicant would be advising the date for the call

- Norwegian ABC – application forms have been forwarded to them and waiting a response. They had acknowledged receipt of the application.

- ABC Russia – the application forms have been sent to them. There has been no response.

Chairman asked Mr. Dovas about the possibility of renewed contact with New Zealand. Mr. Dovas said that nothing much has happened since the first contact and that the industry was in a disorganized state there.

3. NEXT MEETING – the teleconference will be held 10am (London time) on 14 January 2013

4. ANY OTHER BUSINESS

4.1 Event Audits – Mr. Paul Dovas said that he will be working on it and will arrange something by end of January 2013.

4.2 World Newsmedia Network – Chairman said that as Members had no views on the matter,it be kep aside for the time being.

4.3 Mr Eusebio Serrano reported that OJD Spain had organized a meeting with ABC China (SPAC) representatives who had visited Madrid on 19th November. They were properly informed and updated about IFABC issues and the results of the last General Assembly.

4.4 Chairman wished everyone a Merry Christmas for those who celebrate it and a
Happy New Year.

 

Posted by Australia at 12:22 pm 0 Comments

Added over 4 years ago

Minutes of a tele-conference meeting of the Executive Board held 10.00am, London time, 19 November 2012.

INTERNATIONAL FEDERATION OF AUDIT BUREAUX OF CIRCULATIONS

Minutes of a tele-conference meeting of the Executive Board held 10.00am, London time, 19 November 2012.

Present : Mr. Jerry Wright – President – in the Chair
Mr. Hormuzd Masani – Treasurer
Mr. Eusebio Serrano
Mr. Paul Dovas
Mr. George Bohlander
Ms Iwona Szczesna
Mr. Magnus Paulsson

Apologies : Mr. Pedro Silva

In Attendance : Mr. J Matthews representing
Macomm Management Services Sdn Bhd
Secretaries to the Federation

1. 25TH GENERAL ASSEMBLY – Chairman asked Members for their opinion on the successes and learning from the recently concluded GA. Chairman added that a survey was being conducted amongst the members to seek their views. This will enable the Executive Board to plan for the next GA. Mr. Paul Dovas said that from the feedback he had obtained the learning from the GA was felt to be very important as it could be implemented by them. Mr. Eusebio Serrano said that the summary report on the ‘Future of ABC 2015’ was an excellent document and could be a road map for Members. Some said that they had used the document to present to their own Boards the learning.

2. MINUTES: The minutes of the Executive Board meetings held 22nd and 25th October 2012 having been circulates, were taken as read and confirmed. The draft minutes of the General Assembly held 24-25 October was also approved for circulation to the Members. The Secretaries said that they were awaiting a report on the Digital Editions and Publications Committee to complete the minutes. Mr. George Bohlander agreed to try and obtain the report from Mr. Glenn Hansen.

3. MATTERS ARISING:

3.1 IFABC Workplan 2010-2012

3.1.1 Role of ABC/Industry Advocacy

a. External Communications – Chairman said that a PR release was sent out announcing the election of the new Executive Board. The next release planned would cover the outcome of the presentation Future of ABC 2015. It was also noted that the release should be on the website.

b. IFABC Logo/Branding – Chairman tabled the new logo and stationery guidelines. Chairman asked when the new branding be revealed. He felt that it was crucial to change the logo in the website first. Mr. Paul Dovas said that he would speak to the website developers and revert with a date by when the change would occur. Discussion ensued and it was agreed that members will be advised of the change and be asked to download the options from the website. For the letterhead members would have an option on whether to have the strapline or not on their letterhead. It was hoped that the logo in the website would be changed by mid-December followed by the official usage in the new year.

On the suggestion at the GA to consider a name change for IFABC to reflect that it was not solely in print audit, Chairman said that it should not hold up the logo change. He felt that it must be clearly thought out and not done in a hurry. He asked members to send in their thoughts but to try and keep the initials IFABC. Once all the proposals were collected there could be a discussion at the next meeting. There was also a need to obtain Members approval for a name change.

c. Promote the growth of bureaux in new geographies – Chairman said that members at the GA and the Executive Board were of the opinion to promote the growth of bureaux on a worldwide approach. Mr. Eusebio Serrano agreed to lead this charge. He said that he will appoint some members to his committee.

Chairman said that the GA had requested the Board to consider whether the membership requirements would be a deterrent to some bureaux. They asked the Executive Board to discuss the matter related to the ‘not for profit’ principle. Chairman asked whether IFABC should change its constitution to recognize the different organizations, their structures and principles. He said that IFABC should not be seen to be actively ignoring the Constitution and the bylaws. In response to a question, Chairman said that it was not whether IFABC was a not for profit organization but whether the current members of IFABC were practicing the principle of not for profit.

Chairman requested the Secretaries to look at the Constitution and to prepare a paper on the implications if the principle ‘not for profit’ was removed.

d. WFA/WAN-IFRA/FIPP – Chairman said that IFABC should get involved with the with the WFA digital audience measurement study group. He would try to find a way to approach the organization via Mr Fabris or another route.

3.1.2 Knowledge sharing/Business development

a. Ms Iwona Szczesna requested the Secretaries to send out a reminder to Members to submit the data on the regional newspapers. She added that she had not received any additional data but will be putting up on the website what had been collected to date. She asked Mr. Dovas to check whether the content management system would enable members to post their data on the website.

b. Improve internal communication – Website – Chairman requested for a workplan that the committee will do over 4-6 weeks that will include changing the logo; posting the logo and stationery guidelines, the Bureau reports, the presentations done at the GA, an e-alert system to inform members of new things on the website etc. Mr. Paul Dovas said that he would have to discuss the proposals with his team that undertake the work on the web-site, look at the structure of the website, and the need to have a revised menu. Discussion followed and Mr. Magnus Paulsson agreed to help Mr. Dovas in this area of responsibility.

3.1.3 Digital Standards and Measurement

a. ‘Hybrid’ Online Audience Measurement – Chairman said that some recommendations were made at the GA. Mr George Bohlander added that he will start discussions with Mr. Richard Foan on the next steps and report at the next meeting. It was noted that besides Mr Foan and Mr Bohlander, Mr. Manuel Sala, Mr Paul Dovas and Mr Pedro Silva were on the Committee.

b. Digital Editions and Publications – it was agreed to hear from Mr. Hansen the next steps in respect opening discussions with DPPs, especially Zinio, as agreed after their presentation at the GA to DPC.

c. WFA Digital Audience Measurement Group – Chairman said that together with Mr. Foan, they will liaise with Mr. Fabris and find ways to participate in the WFA digital audience measurement group. It was noted that the group will be covering digital platforms generally. He said that they will find out what would be required from IFABC members.

d. Web Standards Group – Chairman said that the group had discussed the work being done in respect of ‘in view’ digital advertising measurement. He asked whether IFABC wanted to get involved. Mr. Paul Dovas felt that it would be better to get involved sooner than later. Chairman said that he would speak to Mr. Richard Foan on the matter.

e. ABC of 2015 – Chairman said that the summary of the IFABC Future 2015 as prepared by the consultants constituted a written document. The summary had been circulated to the Members. He said that the Executive Board should review the work for the next GA in 2014. He hoped that Members were taking learnings from the recommendations made. Ms Iwona Szczesna said that perhaps IFABC should ask the Members whether they were going to adopt any of the recommendations.

3.1.4 Governance & Finance

a. Finance – Treasurer tabled the following invoices for payment: OJD Spain – Invoice No 2489/2012 for € 2,376-00 being expenses incurred for the IFABC Executive Board meeting held 22 October 2012; and Invoice No 2490/2012 for €15,000-00 expenses incurred on behalf of IFABC in respect of the GA held in Madrid
Penmaen Media Ltd – Invoice 1174 for € 3,230-00 being the final 20% payment (€ 2,400-00)for the study Future ABC 2015 and their travel expenses (€830-00) to present the report at the GA in Madrid.

Macomm Management Services Sdn Bhd – Invoices 004/11/2012 and 005/11/2012 for € 3,747-30 and € 3,305-15being professional fees in respect of secretarial and out of pocket expenses for the months of April to June 2012 and July to October 2012 respectively. Invoice 001/11/2012 for € 7,249-03 being reimbursement of expenses incurred for the GA in Madrid.

Discussion ensued and it was agreed that a budget allocation be provided to the secretaries to attend the GA in future. Treasurer said that he has not received any invoices from the other two speakers at the GA. He added that there was one more invoice outstanding being reimbursement of the cost of a gift at the GA.

Treasurer said that he had allocated an additional budget of € 1,900 to Penmaen Media Ltd for a written report on the Future ABC 2015. Chairman said that the written summary had been sent out and as there was no cost incurred, he would suggest using the budget for the logo and stationery guidelines exercise.

Treasurer reported that the balance in the HSBC bank in Singapore was € 78,346-26.

b. Membership – Chairman said that IFABC Europe had approved the application for Full Membership from ABC Hrvatska (Croatia). Chairman said that there was a requirement for a face to face meeting. He suggested that a video conference be organized with them to finalise the process before seeking members approval. The Secretaries were requested to arrange the meeting. Chairman requested that Mr. George Bohlander also participate in the discussions.

Chairman said that Croatia had raised a complaint against ABC Serbia. Chairman requested the Secretaries to reply to them to state that the membership documents seemed to be in order and subject to the video conference it will be sent to Members for their approval. It was also agreed to inform them that IFABC has not given any authority or backing to anyone or any organization to start an ABC in Croatia.

4. NEXT MEETING – the next teleconference meeting will be held 10am, London time on 17 December 2012

5. ANY OTHER BUSINESS

5.1 World Newsmedia Network – Chairman said that he had received an email from Ms Martha Stone, CEO of WorldNewsmedia Network, a not-for-profit association. They had come out with the “Global Digital Media Trendbook’ and were the opinion that it would be ideal for our Members. To be involved there were two options:

Distribution partner – IFABC to distribute the summary of the report to its Members and send their media innovation survey to the members 3 times a year; or Publishing Partner – IFABC to distribute the full report to the Members. There will be a licence fee.

Chairman asked the Executive Members to revert with their opinion.

5.2 Event Audits – Mr. Paul Dovas reported that the feedback from the GA was that a lot of people, particularly in the Asia-Pacific group were interested in event audits and would like to know how to go about doing it. He added that the consultants had also recommended event audits as one of the revenue earners for ABCs. He said that perhaps a quick survey be done amongst the members to find out the interest and the needs. Chairman said that in the UK, the ABC audited about 100 shows. The big event companies were more engaged than the smaller ones. The issue limiting take-up was the lack of pressure from buyers to have audited data, as many exhibitors made their decisions on the basis of their experience the previous year. He said ABC UK will be happy to share their experience. He requested Mr. Paul Dovas to go ahead and organize it.

 

Posted by Australia at 11:16 am 0 Comments

Added over 4 years ago

ABC welcomes Self Select as a Bulk Distribution Associate

Posted by at 10:00 pm 0 Comments

Added over 4 years ago

test blog

Posted by Liam at 3:41 pm 5 Comments

Added over 4 years ago

Test Blog - PLEASE RESPOND

Dear Colleagues,

We are currently testing our new member alert system for Blog and Forum posts on the IFABC Website.

If you have received a notification email as a result of this post, it is because you have registed as a user of the website.

If you are reading this blog post, can you please add a comment to verify that the alert system is working.

 

Thank You

Paul Dovas

ABC Australia

Posted by Paul Dovas at 2:54 pm 6 Comments

Added over 4 years ago

Digital Direction

Posted by at 8:43 pm 0 Comments